Specialists of the AB-Center Agribusiness Expert Analytical Center prepared another study of the agricultural machinery market “Analysis of the import of seeders, planters and transplanters into Russia in 2012-2019.”
Below are some excerpts from the work.
The dynamics of supplies of imported agricultural machinery (seeders, planters and transplanters) to Russia is characterized by:
- High volumes of imports in 2012-2014. It is especially possible to single out 2013, when deliveries reached their peak values in the entire history of observations (153 thousand USD). By observation history here we mean the period from 299,2 to 2012.
- The fall in imports in 2015when, under the conditions of the ruble devaluation, the value of imports dropped to the minimum values (63 thousand USD).
- Some restoration of supplies in the period 2016-2017., however, the indicators did not reach the level of 2012-2014.
Since 2018, the import of seeders, planters and transplanters into Russia again has a downward trend. However, despite a reduction in imports, Russia is still one of the largest importers seeders, planters and transplanters in the world (2nd place after the United States) with a share of 8,3% of the total value of world imports (indicators for 2018, AB-Center estimates).
The market of foreign seeders, planters and transplanters in Russia is also characterized by:
- Moderate diversification of supplies by country of origin. There is no clear dependence on supplies from any one country on the Russian market. Nevertheless, the TOP-7 of the supplier countries provided 93,9% of all deliveries in value terms (data for 2018). These countries: Germany, USA, Sweden, Ukraine, Italy, Canada and France.
In January-April 2019, deliveries from Ukraine were minimized. TOP-8 of the supplier countries, which included Turkey and China, accounted for 96,6% of total imports in value terms.
Between 2017 and 2019 Among the other countries of origin, one can also distinguish Mexico, Argentina, the Netherlands and Austria.
- The presence on the market of a significant number of players, the concentration of the bulk of sales in the hands of several companies. In total, seeders, planters and transplanters from 167 foreign manufacturers are sold in the Russian Federation. Nevertheless, the main volume of sales falls on a narrow circle of companies. Thus, according to AB-Center, the TOP-5 share accounts for 48,8% of all sales in value terms, the TOP-10 share - 68,0%, the TOP-20 share - 89,3% (based on the results of 2018 year).
- The presence of a wide range of distributors. According to the results of 2018, in the Russian market, this type of equipment was imported by 237 Russian importing companies. At the same time, as well as with foreign manufacturers, the market is concentrated in the hands of a relatively small number of players. TOP-5 distributors account for 43,1% of all deliveries in value terms (2018), TOP-10 - 59,0%, and TOP-20 - 76,1%.
At the same time, some companies (see the supply map in the full version of the study) are engaged in the distribution of equipment of several manufacturers at once.
Author: Alexey Plugov, Ph.D., https://ab-centre.ru/