The VI Interregional Exhibition “Potato-2014”, traditionally organized at the very end of winter in Cheboksary, was held as a holiday: noisy, crowded, cheerful, with songs, contests and a rich culinary feast. For two days, the Nikolaevsky shopping complex, which has served as a platform for meetings between specialists and industry lovers for several years, has turned into a real potato kingdom ...
At the entrance, guests were greeted by an armada of agricultural machinery, on the ground floor, high-quality seed material was sold to retail buyers, on the second floor agricultural enterprises, farmers and research institutes presented the results of their work, manufacturers and suppliers of technical and chemical products for growing, care, and harvesting showed the best samples and new products. and potato processing.
An important part of the event was a rich business program. During the exhibition, the scientific and practical conference "Modern Potato Industry: State and Development Prospects" was held, the speakers of which raised the most important questions for potato growers: about problems and prospects of seed production in
Russia, new international and domestic standards, innovative technologies for growing, harvesting and processing the "second bread". The most discussed topics were brought up at round tables, which allowed us to divide the audience into interest groups and organize discussions with a live exchange of views and experiences.
A good mood for the guests of the exhibition was added by a tasting of potato varieties. The experts gathered at the tables, professionally noting the taste, boiling point and shade of each sample, as well as product lovers who cautiously tasted the rich purple tubers (“But what, does it grow like that? Is it dyed with ink ... It's scary!”) And quickly who solved the problem of lack of salt (the organizers deliberately refused to use it for the "purity of the experiment"), adding sauerkraut to the potatoes from the stand of farmer Vasily Semenov.
The “adult” exhibition was successfully supplemented by the exposition of children's works “My Favorite Potato”, which impressed not only with artistic talents, but also with a flight of imagination, unconventional thinking and sincere feelings for the product (yes, and not always for chips).
In general, from the point of view of our editorial staff, the exhibition was a success, and everyone who took the time to visit it - a scientist, practitioner or owner of a private household - got a lot of useful and useful things here. We asked for more detailed and detailed results of the event to summarize the organizers.
Deputy Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Chuvash Republic, Minister of Agriculture of the Chuvash Republic
For any inquiries, We're here to answer you. Sergey Vladimirovich, for the sixth year Cheboksary has become the potato capital of Russia. How significant is this for the Chuvash Republic?
- Potato production is of great importance to us. This culture is the main for many farms of the republic: due to the climatic features of the region, potato production is one of the most profitable agricultural areas. This is really the second bread for us. And of course, it is nice and honorable that the exhibition dedicated to potatoes is held on our land, and it can already be called traditional.
- You went through the exhibition, talked with many farmers. What mood are the Chuvash potato growers preparing for spring?
- Unfortunately, in recent times, difficult weather conditions have not allowed us to achieve decent results, although the yield has remained higher than the average for Russia (the indicator of Chuvashia in 2013 was 171,2 centner / ha, the country as a whole - 144,6 centner / ha). The year was difficult, part of the crop was lost during harvesting. But there is no panic, the peasants are set to work, are actively engaged in updating varieties, preparing equipment.
For any inquiries, We're here to answer you. Is technology enough?
- According to our data, only in 2013, agricultural organizations and peasant farms purchased 646 agricultural machines worth 898,7 million rubles; five complexes for the cultivation of potatoes in the amount of 11 million rubles; reclamation equipment totaling more than 100 million rubles. The federal budget took part of the costs (subsidies in the amount of 19,5 million rubles), the Government of the Chuvash Republic (24,1 million rubles) provided additional assistance to households.
- A seed provided?
- In Chuvashia, 12 farms grow planting stock of potatoes of higher reproductions. The largest specialized agricultural enterprises annually produce more than 5,5 thousand tons of elite.
- That is, there are prerequisites for a good result.
And there are buyers for a large volume of potatoes? In your opinion, the popularity of potatoes among ordinary consumers does not fall?
- Now there is so much talk about good nutrition ... The culture of consumption is really changing, environmentally friendly vegetables are becoming more popular. So our potato is just becoming more relevant.
- What would you like to wish to all potato growers of our country?
- Favorable weather conditions for the whole season, the ability to quickly respond to all changes, an excellent harvest, stable sales and a noticeable economic effect!
Director of the PMC of the Chuvash Republic
AT THE EXHIBITION “POTATO - 2014”:
- Nikolai Ivanovich, how was the interregional exhibition “Potato-2014” interesting? What were its features?
- The potato exhibition in the capital of Chuvashia was held for the sixth time. 74 exhibitors from 18 regions of Russia, near and far abroad presented their achievements at it.
For us, this high result is a clear confirmation that the site in Cheboksary has settled down and is fulfilling its main task: it helps to exchange views and discuss problems for everyone who works on a potato field.
Of course, we make every effort to ensure that the exhibition remains interesting to regular exhibitors and attracts new ones. Every year we update the topics covered during the conference and round tables, taking into account the requests of both representatives of farms and manufacturers of agricultural machinery, plant protection products.
- This year you changed the format of the conference round tables ...
- Yes, they are now more focused on practitioners.
During each round table, there were about three to five short reports on relevant topics around which a general discussion was built. The channel was set by experienced moderators, for the role of which we invited the most respected experts.
- Practical bias did not mean a departure from science?
“Of course not.” Rather, it is the result of a natural process of differentiating science and practice. We focused on the applied side in order to attract the attention of more people directly working on the ground to the conference.
And we will definitely continue to work in this direction. Next year, we plan to include in the materials for participants special booklets on selected areas of potato growing with useful tips and tricks.
- As a professional, have you noticed any new promising topics among the speakers 'presentations, new achievements presented at the exhibitors' stands?
- All conference reports were worthy of the attention of the audience. For myself, I identified topics related to clean areas for seed production (the experience of farmers in the Vologda Oblast; FAT-Agro from Ossetia). This is the most important direction in the production of seed potatoes, without the development of which we will not be able to compete in the world market.
Also, a speech was made by a representative of a company from the USA on the practice of virus-free seed production - an unusual and interesting technology.
But in general, it is worth emphasizing that the exhibition presented a wide range of proposals for the effective cultivation and processing of potatoes by both domestic and foreign companies. Each visitor could find everything that he needed.
For any inquiries, We're here to answer you. One of the highlights of the exhibition was the tasting of potatoes. Was it an advertisement of those varieties that could be bought on the ground floor of the pavilion?
- No, the potatoes diverged “with a bang” and without additional promotion.
We simply invited guests and exhibitors to try different types of potatoes, compare the taste of domestic and foreign selection products and vote for the one they liked most. In order for the choice to be as independent as possible, the varieties were not signed, simply indicated with colored stickers.
And I must say that according to the results of the popular vote, Russian potatoes turned out to have no less fans than imported ones.
- Many visitors noted that a record amount of equipment was presented at the exhibition.
- Yes, according to our estimates, two times more than usual. To accommodate all the cars, I had to rent additional areas.
- Nikolai Ivanovich, what would you like to wish the regular exhibitors and all who would like to enter this circle?
- I invite regular participants to express their ideas on improving the exhibition and expanding the business program. We are always open to dialogue and ready to change. Coordinates are easy to find on the website of Agro-Innovation :(www.agro-in.cap.ru).
And to all those who are associated with the potato industry, but have not yet visited our exhibition, I wish not to “boil in our own juice”, to meet more actively with representatives of other regions, share problems and solutions, and develop new strategies. And, of course, to come to Cheboksary next February. I am sure that together we will achieve success faster!