On the threshold of spring, there is very little time left before planting, and many potato growers have already decided on which varieties they will bet on this year. That is in great demand At the moment, we asked agricultural producers to tell Andrei Kiselev, head of the Potato Seeds division of AgroAlliance-NN LLC.
- The choice of variety always depends on the region. Southern farms (Rostov Region, Krasnodar Territory) prefer to plant ultra-early Colombus and Red Scarlett. In the Astrakhan region, the same Red Scarlett shows good results, the Riviera, Arizona, and Memphis are also in demand. All of these varieties allow you to get an excellent harvest as soon as possible.
In middle-zone regions, farmers often plant Gala, Vega, Colomba, Red Scarlett, Queen Anne, Madeira, Baltic Rose.
Is it more promising to plant “white” or “red” varieties?
- Russian farms are more fond of “white” potatoes, it is believed that they are better bought. On average, white-blond varieties occupy 75-80% of the lineup. But red-skinned should also be present in the assortment, there are years when it is they who “shoot”.
The most popular red-skinned variety is Red Scarlett?
- Yes, for several years in a row. Objectively, it is still difficult to choose a variety that can compete with it in all respects. Although there are interesting options on the market, of course. Of the already listed, I would single out Memphis, it is not as early as Red Scarlett, but it has a very high yield, drought tolerance, and is suitable for long-term storage. And besides, it is very attractive to buyers - this is a potato with smooth tubers and a bright beautiful skin.
I also note Baltic Rose - it shows itself well in the field, is suitable for washing, and has every chance of entering the group of varieties of leaders in our country.
And more about white-blond?
- First of all, this is Gala. The variety is widely known, grown in many regions. Subject to agricultural technology provides a crop of excellent quality. Judge for yourself: if the average market price for potatoes is 8 rubles / kg, then for Gala they offer 9-10 rubles / kg. Vega is a little less well-known, a multi-layered drought tolerant variety.
Madeira is very interesting: medium-early crop variety, very beautiful - tubers are bright, evenly oval - ideal for washing.
And of course, Colomba is a very early variety providing consistent quality. Potato is suitable for washing, looks beautiful in packaging, it is always willingly taken for sale by retail chains.
This year was a very warm winter, many experts say that we need to prepare for the invasion of pests and diseases. Should this factor be considered when choosing varieties?
- Rather, you should pay special attention to the quality of the seed material, otherwise it is very difficult to count on a good result in any season.